***DISCLAIMER***

***If you are my mom, brother, cousin, auntie, under 18, a co-worker, easily offended, extremely religious or anyone else otherwise under the false impression that I'm a sweetheart - then this content is NOT for you! You may exit without reading so that you're not looking at me crooked-eyed later, thank you kindly! ***

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Shut Up Usher Raymond!

Lyrics:  Do I remind you of the pain that he put you through?  Is that the reason I'm to blame before I do it?
Is it because he treated you badly?  I always stand accused.  Protecting yourself from somebody else, I'm not whose hurting you.  And it's killing me knowing you compare me to him, always guilty before the sin.  I can't win, I can't win.  I'll do anything to prove I love you but I refuse to pay for something I didn't do.  I love you girl, but I refuse to stay,  paying for his mistakes.





Shut up, Usher Raymond!

On some levels, with some women he may have a valid point.  There are a lot of women who don't know how to recover from past relationship hurts.  As a result, all the hurt from the sins of the previous boyfriend is visited upon the next - whether new guy deserves it or not.  She may not realize that's what she's doing for years, until after she's (as my grandma would have put it) run him off.  Some man (or men) really hurt her and up until her epiphany, she's living that pain out loud.

I admit, I was "her" at some point.  I was hard on a man.  When I left the kids father, I didn't trust men and I'd always find myself thinking of various creative and fun ways to "accidentally" remove their reproductive organs without getting in trouble.  I developed a mental and (I must confess) a physical kick-your-ass attitude because I was determined no man would ever put his hands on me again.  Ask the next ex who chipped his tooth by breaking my laptop with his face.. he won't ever touch another woman in the wrong way without remembering the lisp and that Toshiba imprint across his forehead.  To this day, you still can't physically back me into a corner.  I. Will. Fuck. You. Up.

Learning how to let go of being wronged isn't any kind of easy, but it can be done.   Eventually, I came to realize that every man I met was not my ex incarnate, and it wasn't fair to them or me that we never had a clean shot at making each other happy.   I know of at least two who would have given me the world but I wouldn't allow them to because I was still angry.  While at one point I wished I could go back and try again, I understood that those relationships were meant to play out the way they did - so I could learn. 

I learned some things, you should too.

What I need for those who live by Usher's "His Mistakes" mantra to learn is that a lot of men aren't paying for another man's mistakes, they're making and paying for their own!  You can't be a complete shithead and then say, "Just because your ex was a certain way, doesn't mean I am.  Don't make me pay for his mistakes."

Durrrr.  The fact that you just did the same thing that he used to do and that's why you're both now ex-boyfriends is simply an unfortunate coincidence.  

So, shut up Usher Raymond!

No, don't shut up just yet.  Write me some pretty lyrics and croon this:  Tell all your boys to stop leaving a wealth of hurt and broken women in their wake and you won't have to worry about catching flack for something the last guy did.  Don't be an asshole, then you can be accountable for your mistakes alone and not have to worry about the last guy.  If you know she's been through some things, try being understanding instead of quick to say, "I'm not him!"  And lastly, if you aren't him, quit acting like him and there will be no confusion.

Most of us out here are trying to live, let live and be happy.  Trust me, we don't want you to be like the last guy.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/24/2010

    Please put a better game on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, you come for the game on the page and not what I write? *gasp!*

    Just for that I'm going to find a game that's even more whack than the one that's already up. Take that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/25/2010

    Was angry ?? you mean still angry

    Didn't trust men as in past tence ?? you mean still don't trust men ??

    really look inside and in mirror and say that your not angry and you really trust any man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Anonymous is back! I think I know who you are, I recognize the "can't-spell-for-shit" font you always type in. :)

    Now, on to the nitty - Still angry? No, actually I'm not. Being angry netted me nothing but gray hair, an almost-ulcer and more headaches than I care to count. I wouldn't exactly call it a leap or far-fetched to say that I'm jaded, or cynical (that's probably accurate), but still angry? No.

    Once you come to realize that your past is your past and the only thing you can change is your today and your future, it's easy to let go of anger.

    I will say this though, that anger taught me some things. That anger taught me to pay attention to my gut feelings, to speak my mind when what I had to say needed to be heard, to defend myself and to walk away from anything that wasn't making me happy and adding value to my life. For that, I'm glad I got angry and now, I'm glad I got over it.

    Instead of continuing to be angry, I now look back on everything and call them life lessons, and I think I'm a better person for having learned them.

    Just because I post what I've learned in effort to help other women, and men, doesn't mean that I'm still angry. Just because you're self-analyzing now and realize YOU fell short, doesn't mean I'm still angry.

    My trust lies in God. Man must earn it and once deserved will be freely given. If you are who I'm pretty sure you are, you might want to look in YOUR mirror and see if you can really say the word "Trust" out loud without stuttering over it. If you can say you honestly deserved my trust with a straight face, then you need more therapy than I'm qualified to give you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6/25/2010

    Ouch
    so I am wondering
    who do you think this is ??
    really ??
    "Trust"
    If you know who this is , you know how to contact me

    ReplyDelete